Quotes F - I
Below are just a selection of quotes I have gathered which I think are worth looking at. They are in alphabetical order by author and cover a wide selection of topics. I hope you enjoy them as I think they are all worth reading and remembering.
Links to the authors profile, bio, official webpage or a Wiki page are included where possible. Links will open in a 'pop-up' window (if your browser supports pop-ups or a new tab if it doesn't), please allow pop-ups for this site
Faulkner, William: Link to Bio- Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself. Fields, W. C: - I am free of all prejudice.
- I hate everyone equally.
- Once, during prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but food and water.
- I like children. Properly cooked.
France, Anatole: Link to Wiki page
- A person is never happy except at the price of some ignorance.
- To die for an idea is to place a pretty high price on conjectures.
- The books that everybody admires are those nobody reads.
Friedman, Bruce: Link to Wiki page- A Code of Honour: Never approach a friend's girlfriend or wife with mischief as your goal.
- There are just too many women in the world to justify that sort of dishonorable behaviour. Unless she's really_ attractive.
- A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.
- The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up and does not stop until you get into the office.
- Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up. Fudim, Libbie:
- Love me or hate me, but spare me your indifference.
Galento, Tony: (heavyweight boxer)
- I'll moider da bum; (when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare).
Gandhi, Indira: Link to Bio page
- You can't shake hands with a clenched fist.- There is more to life than increasing its speed.
Gardner, Ed: (British Conducter)
- Opera is when a guy gets stabbed in the back and instead of bleeding, sings.
Gardner, Hy: Link to Wiki page
- You know you're getting old when everything hurts. And what doesn't hurt doesn't work.
- Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from the problem.
- It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
Goethe, Johann Wolfgang von: Link to Wiki page
- One ought, every day at least, to hear a little song, read a good poem, see a fine picture and, if possible, speak a few reasonable words.
- Know thyself? If I knew myself, I'd run away.
- If a man writes a book, let him set down only what he knows. I have guesses enough of my own.
- The intelligent man finds almost everything ridiculous, the sensible man hardly anything.
Goff, Sidney: (communications instructor in the Army Air Forces during World War II).
- A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.
- Television has raised writing to a new low.
- Dying is easy. Comedy is difficult.
Hadas, Moses: Link to Wiki page
- Thank you for sending me a copy of your book - I'll waste no time reading it.
- This book fills a much-needed gap.
Heller, Joeseph: Link to Wiki page- He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt.
Henrik, Tikkanen: Link to Bio page- Truly great madness can not be achieved without significant intelligence
Henry, Patrick: Link to Bio- Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take but as for me; give me liberty or give me death!
Herbert, Samuel: Link to Wili page
- An autobiography is the story of how a man thinks he lived.
Herford,Oliver: Link to Wili page
- Manuscript: something submitted in haste and returned at leisure.
- Dew knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl yore mistakes. Attributed to Brendan Hills
Hitchcock Alfred: Link to Bio page
- I never said all actors are cattle; what I said was all actors should be treated like cattle.
- Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.
Hoffenstein, Samuel: Link to Wili page- When you're away, I'm restless, lonely. Wretched, bored, dejected; only here's the rub, my darling dear, I feel the same when you are here.
- Give us the luxuries of life and we will dispense with the necessities.
- You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.
- Middle Age is when your age starts to show around your middle.
- None of us can boast about the morality of our ancestors. The records do not show that Adam and Eve were married.
- No woman ever falls in love with a man unless she has a better opinion of him than he deserves.
- If you don't advertise yourself you will be advertised by your loving enemies.
- Perfume: any smell that is used to drown a worse one.
- You can lead a boy to college but you can't make him think.
- A pessimist is one who has been intimately acquainted with an optimist.
- Some people pay a compliment as if they expected a receipt.
- Everything comes to him who waits, except a loaned book.
- Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny.
- It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed.
- Thought is the labour of the intellect, reverie is its pleasure.
- Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Ingersoll, Robert G: Link to Wili page- In the republic of mediocrity genius is dangerous.